Daminion vs Lightroom
Lightroom – is primarily a first-rate Camera RAW editor with built-in photo management and presentation tools for professional photographers.
Daminion – is a digital media management system that focuses on management and presentation only and doesn’t include any built-in editing capabilities. The key benefit of the program is its Multi-user access.
Two versions of the Daminion Server will be available:
- Daminion Server – for home users who own multiple computers
- Daminion Server Pro – for small creative teams who need centralized
access to a media archive and built-in presentation capabilities
Daminion Server benefits:
- Works for multiple users across a network
- Controls access to media content by user roles
- Audits files. It’s easy to find out who’s made what changes to your content – and why
- Version Control. You’ll never have to lose a good idea again through someone overwriting your file edits
Daminion Standalone benefits:
- Multiple catalogs can be opened simultaneously as web-browser pages. Photos can easily be moved between catalogs
- All information about media files is described by tags. Tags are automatically synced with file metadata without user interference. You work with a small set of tags (~20-30), do your primary job and don’t have to worry about metadata
- Support searches using boolean expressions (AND/OR)
- Advanced Search enables you to locate assets with virtually any set of query parameters (more than 100 properties) in conjunction with boolean And/Or operations and a set of conditions like: "Contains", "Starts with", "Matches", etc.
- Saved Searches. Think of it as dynamic collections. Any time a picture with particular properties appears in the catalog, the collection will automatically grow, and you can view it with a single mouse click
- Support for hierarchical tags, with no limitation on nesting levels: categories, people, place, keywords, event… with Lightroom you’re limited to hierarchical keywords only
- Besides Photo and Video formats, Daminion supports PDF, BMP, PSD, PNG, GIF, and Audio formats. Vector and Office format support will be added soon
- Version Control. Puts an end to the problem of work being redone because you’ve lost your original versions!
- Send to Email and optimize images “on-the-fly”
- Import from PicaJet (I think Lightroom may support this via add-ons 🙂
- Lightroom has a superb built-in Camera RAW editor. Although we don’t offer Camera RAW editing capabilities as such, Daminion can read Camera RAW metadata, generate previews, and supports built-in JPEG previews. It also allows you to write metadata back to some Camera RAW formats
- Mac version. Daminion is for Windows only. We understand that 50% of photographers are Mac users. We even carried out a survey recently, and published a survey on our blog: Mac vs PC. What Professional Photographers Prefer? We haven’t yet tested Daminion with Parallels Desktop, Virtual Box, Wine or any other virtualization tools, so I can’t say for certain whether the program can be launched on a Mac in this way
- Effective web-publishing. This function is planned for future versions of Daminion